Monday 18 June 2012

The Necklace

Sitting in the candle lit  window of a Hair Salon drinking champagne and laughing out loud,to passers by they would have been thinking what are they doing and why are they having so much fun? Oh if they could have been a fly on the wall they would have had a great time like we did.From hearing about Susie's Grandfather Frederick Stock departing and arriving in ships with  blacked out windows during the war to Gaye giving Shelle a lesson in pronounciation, I would still say Ant tee Podes instead of Antipodes, sounds better to me!!!
Such a fun Breakfast at Tiffany's,Susan what else have you got stored in that magic cupboard of yours? To those not there we will explain at next meeting.
Well done Susan on a great setting.
Book reviewed was The Necklace and it was a resounding success, everyone loved it, ok Jill was a bit lukewarm in her praise of it. I was nominated as the Jonelle of the group but I am inclined to think I am a mix of everyone, it was my idea though to start the club and I WILL MAINTAIN CONTROL!!!!! Joking of course.

Everyone had on a special necklace and gave their reason for wearing it.

Susan had her Nanna's special crystal necklace and even had a photo of her wearing it at Susan's wedding.I will be speaking to mum as to why I don't have one!!
Leonie had a beautiful necklavce that had been made in Israel and had chosen it just for herself as she thought it was very dramatic and not something she would usually wear.
Shelle I had my very special necklace that Den had bought for me on the Ponteveccio bridge on our trip to Europe.
Julia wore a Pearl Necklace, nudge nudge!! Actually a pearl collar which was quite exquisite, it belonged to her grandmother  and was circa 1920.
Merryn Her necklace held special meaning to her as her daughter Amber had made it for her and she loved it.
Jill wore a lovely cross necklace which was gift from shall  we say a friend of her past life.
Gaye, this is where the connection Antipodes came into play, her necklace was a purchase from the very special shop of the same name in Sorrento, one of my favourite book stores.
Gaye and Leonie did give an overview of the other title that was to be read We Need to Talk About Kevin ,They both found it very depressing and quite disturbing.
Sophie sent this through via email.
Hi Shelle,
Here is my imput about the book!
I didn't love the book! But I'm glad I read it.
It was written with quite complicated language and didn't "flow" as easily as most of the books I usually read.\
I like the fact that it explored the question "are children "born bad"? I think it's called Nature versus nurture?
The first three quarters of the book were draining and I'll be honest, not enjoyable... but as I mentioned earlier... I'm glad I stuck with it, The last bit of the book was eye opening.
I think it's a shame we didn't stick with it as I really think it would of generated a lot of discussion.
Hope everyone enjoyed the pearl necklace!
NEXT MEETING :
IS A REAL BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S EXCEPT IT WILL BE AT MANYUNG GALLERY
SUNDAY 16TH OF MAY
10 AM
BOOK TITLE FOR THE MONTH OF MAY IS
PEOPLE OF THE BOOK BY GERALDINE BROOKS
Please advise asap if you are unable to attend as I will need to book.
Can you all bring a picture of you when you were a young child.
Yours in reading
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment